Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King Day/Bush Last Day

Today there are a couple of things I'd like to note. One, it's Martin Luther King's birthday and while everyone knows his "I Had A Dream" speech, our paper printed some lesser known quotes. "And when you disover what you will be in life, set out to do it as if God Almighty called you at this particular moment in history to do it. Don't just set out to do a good job. Set out to do such a good job that the living, the dead and the unborn couldn't do it any better. If it falls to you to be a streetsweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music, sweep streets like Leontyne Price sings before the Metropolitan Opera. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts in heaven and earth will pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper, who swept his job well."
This particular quote resonated with me for so many reasons. It makes me think of Col 3:23 that says ~ And whatever you do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord and not men~
Washing dishes is one of my least favorite chores. But when I started washing them like I was washing them for God, something changed. No, I don't suddenly like doing dishes, but I do like the quiet time I get to talk to Him and listen. I can be reading my Bible and that doesn't seem to stop anyone from talking to me, even if I ignore them. But no one seems to want anything from me while I'm washing dishes. I don't know if they think I'm going to ask them to help or take over, but I've come to appreciate that time with God. I don't resent the mess anymore.
I don't lead a very glamorous life and I'm never going to have a glamorous job or be Mother Theresa. But I can do all the things I must do to make my home and family function to the best of my ability and rely on God to pick up the slack. I don't know if I do enough or do it well but I do it with a different heart and frame of mind.
Staying with the MLK thing, tomorrow will be the inauguration of our 1st black president. It is definetly historic and I am proud of our nation in that so many people voted for Barak Obama based on the content of his character and not the color of his skin. That being said I don't think I agree with a single policy he supports/has/wants or the direction he wants to take the U.S. That is also based on the content of his character and not the color of his skin. I will still pray for him, his family and our great nation.
An finally, President Bush ~ I have not agreed with everything he's done or said but I thank him for keeping us safe. I thank him for doing what he thought was best and making tough and unpopular decisions. I'm glad he didn't care about being popular. I think he made mistakes but that history will show he was a good president. I think so now and want to thank him for his service. I voted for him twice and was proud to have him as my president. I no longer listen to the Dixie Chicks either.
One last note... I want to thank him for commuting the sentences of the two border agents who were convicted about two years ago after shooting an illegal alien drug dealer in the rear end. My prayers are with the Ramos and Compean families.
That's it~ more strange happenings around the Grant household tomorrow.

No comments: