Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm Always Learning Something

Today I learned a lot. First of all, don't exercise when your 2 1/2 year old is around. "Mommy, why you bowing (blowing)?" I ignored that. "Mommy, what you doing?" "Exercising." I tell her between breaths that apparently sound like blowing. "Exshersizing?" "Yep."
And then I hear her holler through the house announcing to everyone that I'm "exshersizing". It was like The Goonies "Hey You Guuuuuys!" Next thing you know I have an audience. You'd think they'd never seen me do this before. Well, maybe the younger two haven't, it's been a while. Did I mention I'm going to be 40 in 86 days?
Second, I learned that my 14 year old daughter still wants me to put her to bed and sit with her while she says her prayers. That was a good mommy moment.
I didn't really learn the next thing today, but it was a nice reminder. My kids still need me. Okay, it's a nice reminder today and a pain in my behind tomorrow, but I'm in a good mood right now with all those endorphins rocking around my body. Lacey and I talked about roommate selection for the house she's moving into and all the stuff she'll be responsible for in running it. We also talked about her future career and graduating from college. Taylor brought her boyfriend, Evan, over after a day of snowboarding at Big Bear and we all got to hang out. They picked up the high school kids for me and I made them dinner before sending them off. Taylor and I discussed her work with Intervarsity (a Christian fellowship program at the college) and whether or not she wanted to continue. She loves leading Bible Studies and wants to teach at the high school level so this has been a good experience for her.
It was a real treat to learn that if you shower, shave your legs, paint your toes, do your hair, pluck your eyebrows and put make-up on your kids want to know where you're going. They were very confused when I told them nowhere. Hmmm.
I also learned there's a reason moms wear pants with pockets in them. Today I emptied out of them 2 bobby pins, a piece of dried up playdough, a tooth from a fat comb, a penny, a barret, ponytail and fruitroll wrapper. It was a slow day.

No comments: